Just got back from 2 weeks in Japan. Very cool place. Had a great time, saw some very cool people, places and things and ate some good food and some awful food. Spent 8 days in Tokyo and 5 days in Okinawa and 2 days on a plane. I’m putting together a video podcast of my trip, but here are some observations.
- Girls and young women in Japan wear their shoes too big.
- A lot of the young people in Japan dress like the cast of Pretty in Pink. The 80s are alive and well!
- Harajuku girls look nothing like Gwen Stefani’s Harajuku Girls.
- “Hooker chic” is the best way to describe a lot of the 20-something girls.
- The food is awesome, except octopus and squid do NOT make for good sushi or sashimi.
- Less people speak English than you think.
- The subway system kicks ass – once you find the signs in English.
- The Japanese carry small towels – most bathrooms don’t have paper towels or hand dryers.
- Most temples and sites are re-creations built after the originals were destroyed in WWII.
- There are no trash cans but the city is SO clean.
- Most of Japan lives vertically. There are almost no single family homes.
- There is hardly no unused land in Japan. If it doesn’t have a building on it there is a farm on it.
- Taxi drivers can be found sleeping in their cars quite often.
Photos and videos coming soon!